3.22.2010

Sold: Singer Featherweight 221K in White

IMG_2528

It kills to have to part with this find, especially after testing it out post-tune up. Gorgeous, dreamy, mod sewing. I shouldn't complain too hard though, getting to use my grandmother's black featherweight with loads of attachments. I may prefer the white, but having two machines seems silly, and parting with a family heirloom would be sacrilege. Besides, Grandma Margene was a supreme crafter of the highest rank, and I am humbled to be working on her machine, despite the allure of the white.

IMG_2527

Down to the gritty gritty here though: the case is in very good vintage condition, clean throughout and free of any major dings or scrapes. I am out of fabreeze right now, but there is a whiff of basement to the case. The machine, like I said, works beautifully, and is very clean save some small bits of aged dust in the hardest to reach corners. The cord is supple and free of cracks or fraying; the bakelite pedal is original and in very good condition. The light works, the motor hums satisfyingly. Reverse works great. Tension is right on. Also has the original white belt--rare! Featherweight aficionados recommend taking off the white belts and storing separately since they are a bit sought after.

IMG_2503

Gizmo, who was recommended by the lovely girls at Purl, gave this machine a thorough going over, tune up, and clean bill of health (a $70 visit itself). Even he kept repeating over and over, "I love these machines, I love these machines." He even kindly unscrewed some of the paneling and showed me the "guts". Industrial chic indeed.

IMG_2505


The well known indestructibility and ease of use of these machines is legendary. Also, if kept in good condition, it will only become a more valuable collectible. This particular machine was made in 1964, the last year of production. I also have the original instruction booklet, working keys for the case, and the receipt for the tune up. She's also got a brand new needle.


IMG_2500

One last thing though is that the bobbin case is not original, I bought a modern replacement. Gizmo said the quality is not as good as the original, but what the eff is these days? It does work nicely though, and also set me back a pretty penny so I can offer this beauty as absolutely ready to sew up a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment